WBC is a contemporary, vibrant Christian church located in the Airlie Beach area. We are part of the Baptist community of churches.
But that is not the end of it. ‘Church’ should be more than just the place you go (or don’t go) on Sundays.
You see, for us, it is not about having the biggest church or the best building. It is about fulfilling what God has given us to do. We want to be a ‘great place to visit’ while you are on holiday, and equally a ‘great place to belong‘ as part of a family.
Come for a visit next time you are in the Whitsundays. If you live here, drop in and see what’s happening.
Whitsunday Baptist Church is more than ‘just another church’. We are a family from diverse backgrounds with a vibrant history and an exciting future. We are a community living the Good News daily, authentically, and intentionally in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
We currently meet each Sunday morning, 10:00 am, at St Martin’s Chapel, St Martin’s Road (just off Shute Harbour Road), Cannonvale.
Please note our special service time for Christmas Day:
Christmas Day (Friday 25th), 9:00 am, at St Martin’s Church, St Martin’s Road (just off Shute Harbour Road), Cannonvale
Due to COVID-19, please note the following:
- It will be necessary for you to stay home if you:
- Are sick
- Have any symptoms associated with COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, sneezing/runny nose or loss of sense of smell)
- Have COVID-19 or you are awaiting the results from being tested for COVID-19
- Have been in contact with any known or suspected cases of COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- Have returned, or been in contact with anyone else who has returned, from overseas or a declared
COVID-19 hotspot within Australia in the past 14 days
- You will be required to sign in when you arrive and provide us with your contact details. This information is only kept and used for COVID-19 purposes and will be destroyed after 56 days, as per government requirements.
- You will be required to wash or sanitise your hands before entering the building.
- No communion will be provided and we encourage online giving.
Mobile: 0474 464 191
Phone: 07 4946 4191
Post: PO Box 549, Airlie Beach QLD 4802
Facebook: Whitsunday Baptist Church
How many people are part of WBC?
Our church is very diverse. We have approximately 70 families and/or single people who call WBC home (about 160 individuals or so). Most Sundays we will have 80-100 people in attendance and as many as 20% can be visitors in any one week.
What is the age of the congregation?
We are mixed ages with most people being children, young adults and families. We also have a handful of people in their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s with adult children who have now left home, or no children. We also have half a dozen older people who are of great value in our group. We represent the demographic of the Whitsundays area well and have something to offer everyone.
What do you do at church on Sundays?
There are a number of things we do on Sunday. We almost always sing some songs (usually will a full band), the style is quite contemporary. We will generally have someone present an encouraging and motivating speech connected to Christian belief. We will pray; usually this is done by one or two people up front and everyone else ‘prays’ in their minds. We also take an offering to enable us to do the things we do. At the end we serve donuts and coffee. These are the regular things we do at church. Sometimes we also have other things going on too.
Will I be expected to do anything?
You don’t have to do anything when you attend church. You can get involved as much as you like, but if you want to just sit and observe, you’re welcome to do that too. There are no rules about how you participate.
What football team do you support?
That’s a tough question. We do have some people who have migrated up from down south… but most people support the Queensland teams.
Can anyone attend?
Absolutely anyone can attend. Man or woman, adult or child, any culture or language, gay or straight, rich or poor. There are no rules to attending church. It is a public meeting which focuses on our relationship with God and people. Change is the agenda of all of us, and where you start from doesn’t matter… in fact, Jesus teaches that the worse you are, the better you’ll understand the Great News he brings.
What does it cost to go to Church?
Nothing. While we do give money, this is voluntary, and not a requirement for attendance. Giving is all about expressing worship to God and having money to do things for others.
What does WBC believe?
At WBC we believe that our beliefs influence our actions. We ascribe to the Nicene Creed and are part of the Queensland Baptist Community, but more than that, we try to live out our faith as part of our lives, not just as something that we talk about. We have no hidden agendas or secret handshakes. We’re just a great place to visit, and a great place to belong.
- First and foremost, we believe in God as revealed in Christ Jesus and through the Christian scriptures.
- We believe in people, the intrinsic value of a human life and the potential of each individual God has created.
- We believe in prayer – prayer is important in everything we do not because it changes the will of God, but because it changes us and what we do as we pray and hear from God.
- We believe in being relevant in everything we do, from the songs we sing and the message we proclaim, through to the place we meet and the coffee we serve. We strive to be relevant to our context.
- We believe in integrity and honesty. We seek to have integrity in all we do and say and in every dealing we have with others.
- We believe in unity and diversity. We are not all the same, but we all share in a common faith in Christ Jesus and trust in God.
- We believe in equipping and releasing people into real, passionate, living involvement in the work of God and of the Church.
- We believe in you – more than that, God believes in you. Come and find out what it really means to have someone believe in you and accept you for who you are.
At WBC we try to run a flat line leadership model.
- Everyone has a voice in the life of the church
- Participation is valued higher than perfection
- We help you find the right fit not just any fit
- Our leaders are men, women, young and old
Some of our leadership team are:
Elders – Board – Pastor – Worship – Community – Outreach – Youth
We also have two members on staff:
Craig has a wife and four kids, and he is our Pastor.
This doesn’t mean that he runs everything or does all the work. But he does do a lot simply because we support him so that he has time to do stuff. Some of things that Craig does are:
- Plays a key role in shaping the direction of the WBC
- Offers spiritual direction and assistance to people
- Teaches people Christian beliefs & lifestyle info
- Leads or participates in various community programs
- Cares for and prays with people
- Liaises with other groups and organisations
Melinda has a husband and a number of fur babies, and she is our Youth and Worship Coordinator.